Man. Comm. 4

Date: 
03/11/2011 - 04/11/2011

Venue: NHM NE Tower, 7th floor

Start: 13:00 GMT (Please note, lunch will be available from 12:00)

Duration: 24 hours

Meeting 4 : Agenda [28 Oct 11]

 

  1. Apologies for absence

  2. Financial reporting - Gemma

    All partners have been asked to complete financial returns to the end
    of September. This will give the Management Committee first
    opportunity to assess overall spend and correct issues that may affect
    the next payment from the Commission.

    Note that individual partners have to complete their financial
    returns promptly and get them to us as coordinators. The EU will not
    process the next tranche of funds until they are all present.

  3. Project Co-ordinator's report - Vince

    Project-wide issues, matters from the strategic board and project invitations to meetings.

  4. Workpackage Updates

    To prepare for the annual report, which will be assessed by referees.
    A satisfactory report is required to secure the next tranche of
    funding.

    1. WP1 - Dave

      M1.10 - Confirmation of year 1 meeting dates

      31 Dec 10

      http://vbrant.eu/content/management-committee

      M1.11 - Circulation of next meeting agenda

      31 Dec 10

      http://vbrant.eu/content/management-committee-meeting

      M1.12 - Organise kick-off meeting

      31 Dec 10

      http://vbrant.eu/scripting-life

      M1.13 - Minutes of management committee meetings

      28 Feb 11

      http://vbrant.eu/content/management-committee-meeting

      M1.14 - Minutes of strategic board meetings

      28 Feb 11

      http://vbrant.eu/sites/vbrant.eu/files/ViBRANT_StrategicBoardMinutes_Jan11.pdf

      M1.15 - Circulation of next meeting agenda

      30 Apr 11

      http://vbrant.eu/content/man-comm-2

      M1.16 - Minutes of management committee meetings

      30 Jun 11

      http://vbrant.eu/content/man-comm-2

      M1.17 - Minutes of strategic board meetings

      30 Jun 11

      http://vbrant.eu/content/strategic-board-2

      M1.19 - Preparation of first JPA templates

      31 Aug 11

       

      M1.18 - Circulation of next meeting agenda

      31 Aug 11

      This document

      M1.20 - Minutes of management committee meetings

      18 Nov 11

      Delayed because of change of meeting date

      M1.21 - Confirmation of year 2 and 3 meeting dates

      30 Nov 11

      http://vbrant.eu/content/man-comm-3

      M1.22 - Circulation of next meeting agenda

      31 Dec 11

       

      M1.23 - First year financial reports

      31 Dec 11

       

    2. WP2 - Simon

      M2.10 - Test version of distributed Scratchpad server

      31 May 11

      http://vbrant.eu/sites/vbrant.eu/files/m2.10.pdf

      M2.11 - Report on Scratchpad usage statistics options

      31 May 11

       

      M2.12 - Ongoing module development supporting prioritised features requested by users through WP3

      30 Nov 11

       

      M2.13 - Define further milestones in the light of usage and feedback

      30 Nov 11

       

      D2.1 - Distributing servers

      30 Nov 11

       

    3. WP3 - Thierry

      M3.10 - Delivery of a promotional strategy for ViBRANT services

      30 Sep 11

      http://vbrant.eu/sites/vbrant.eu/files/M.3.10_Delivery%20of%20a%20promotional%20strategy%20for%20ViBRANT%20services_0.pdf

      M3.12 - Assessment of user support services, with the refinement of subsequent milestones

      30 Nov 11

       

      M3.11 - Recommendations to modify products to maximise user uptake

      30 Nov 11

       

      D3.1 - Training strategy

      30 Nov 11

       

    4. WP4 - Yde

      M4.11 - Prototype of collaborative community interface

      31 May 11

      http://vbrant.eu/sites/vbrant.eu/files/M4.11%E2%80%94Prototype%20of%20co...

      M4.10 - Define methods to use the Scratchpad service layer deliverable within the CDM store

      31 May 11

      http://vbrant.eu/sites/vbrant.eu/files/ViBRANT%20M410%20Specification%20...

      M4.12 - Liaison and networking with ontology experts and existing ontology providers

      31 Jul 11

       

      M4.13 - Release an API on the catalogue of resources

      31 Aug 11

      http://vbrant.eu/sites/vbrant.eu/files/M4.13%20-%20Release%20an%20API%20...

      M4.14 - Define further milestones in the light of usage and feedback

      30 Nov 11

       

      D4.1 - Scratchpad common access point

      30 Nov 11

       

    5. WP5 - Neil

      M5.10 - API design plan

      31 Dec 10

      http://vbrant.eu/content/ms-510-api-design-plan

      M5.12 - Review user requirements for the visualisation tool for Scratchpads

      28 Feb 11

      http://vbrant.eu/sites/vbrant.eu/files/M5-12.pdf

      M5.11 - Review existing key construction software and workflow interaction with both Scratchpads and the CDM

      28 Feb 11

      http://www.infosyslab.fr/vibrant/M5_11_deliverable_UPMC_february2011.pdf

      M5.13 - API baseline documentation

      31 Mar 11

      http://vbrant.eu/sites/vbrant.eu/files/M5.13.api_baseline.txt

      M5.14 - Review of target applications (phylogenetics)

      31 Mar 11

       

      M5.15 - API version control

      30 Apr 11

       

      M5.16 - Review of target platforms and requirements

      30 Jun 11

       

      M5.17 - Define further milestones in the light of usage and feedback

      30 Nov 11

       

      M5.18 - Review user requirements for enhanced user interface

      30 Nov 11

       

      M5.19 - Deliver prototype key-generating service through Scratchpads

      30 Nov 11

       

      D5.1 - Prototype workflows and API

      30 Nov 11

       

    6. WP6 - Lyubo

      M6.10 - Use cases of existing standards of XML mark up tagging and semantic enhancement collected and review

      28 Feb 11

      http://vbrant.eu/sites/vbrant.eu/files/Milestone%206%2010-Review%20of%20...

      M6.11 - Prototype and beta-version of XML submission from Scratchpads to publishers

      31 Jul 11

       

      M6.12 - Workshop on mark up tagging tools and implementations at TDWG

      31 Oct 11

       

      M6.13 - Define further milestones in the light of usage and feedback

      30 Nov 11

       

      D6.1 - XML mark up tool & service

      30 Nov 11

       

    7. WP7 - David

      M7.10 - Agreement of standard format for community contributed bibliographies in conjunction with WP4

      17 Jun 11

      http://wiki.scratchpads.eu/w/M710report for work in progress.

      M7.11 - Review of options for interactive mark up tools within the Scratchpad infrastructure

      17 Jun 11

      http://wiki.scratchpads.eu/w/M711report for work in progress.

      M7.12 - A suite of test cases that will be used to test the de-duplication software

      31 Jul 11

       

      M7.13 - Review of options to use typographical information and other contextual clues

      31 Jul 11

       

      M7.14 - Collaboration with WP6 on mark-up tagging tools and implementation

      31 Oct 11

       

      D7.1 - Community contributed bibliography

      30 Nov 11

       

    8. WP8 - Christos

      M8.10 - Prototype ecological and conservation applications

      31 May 11

      http://vbrant.eu/sites/vbrant.eu/files/Milestone_8.10_Indices_C_code_v0.1.zip

      https://git.scratchpads.eu/viewgit?p=indices.git;a=summary

      M8.11 - Review of relevant field recording tools and applications

      31 May 11

       

      M8.13 - Define further milestones in the light of usage and feedback

      30 Nov 11

       

      M8.14 - Prototype demonstration project with non-professional marine naturalists

      30 Nov 11

       

      M8.12 - Identify rules for an intelligent algorithm to identify suspicious data records in GBIF data

      30 Nov 11

       

      D8.1 - Scratchpad modules engaging citizen scientists

      30 Nov 11

       

  5. Reporting - Dave

    Data tables for 1st year reports, including presentations,
    publications etc.. Note that the Commission will refuse to pay for
    conference travel unless a dissemination product is reported.

  6. Milestones & Deliverables for Year 2 - WP leaders

    As an agile project, we anticipated setting new milestones each year.
    We will need these to be established before the report is submitted.
    WP leaders are asked to identify milestones that can cross workpackages.

  7. Special publication - Vince

    A progress report on the ViBRANT Special Issue to be published by Pensoft.

  8. Associated grant proposals - various

    1. The NHM & Oxford proposal to the UK's BBSRC in conjunction with EBI was not funded.

    2. A bid to the EU Infrastructure programme 'agBioINFRA' was not funded.

    3. eMonocot: A UK research council funded project with Kew Gardens and Oxford University to develop a Web resource on Monocot plants.

    4. A new project agINFRA will kick off in Rome 8-10
      Nov. This funds one person in the OU and will use Scratchpads as
      communication platform, taking us into the agriculture domain.

    5. BioVel has been funded and is expected to link to ViBRANT.

    6. EoL : relations with EoL are extremely good and
      data are starting to flow from Scratchpads to EoL. We plan to use EoL
      services in Scratchpads2 as part of the species page where possible.

    7. BHL: WP7 are intending to use CiteBank as the primary literature repository, pending the outcome of discussions after TDWG.

    8. GN (aka GNA and Nomina): the US
      consortium has secured pilot-phase funding for 2 years. They have an
      urgent need to show application, so ideas are sought for services (= use
      cases) that they can deliver by May 2012. The condition is that any
      such service needs to be demonstrably used in June so that it can be
      quoted in the grant proposal for construction-phase funding in July
      2012. There is a possibility that this will be a parallel EU-NSF call.

    9. 4D4Life, Species2000 and Catalogue of Life. With the untimely death of Frank Bisbey, the committee is asked to consider the impact on

  9. Events calendar & training - Dave

    Events are now listed on the web site. This item is an opportunity to
    raise questions about ViBRANT's participation in up-coming events.

    TDWG will be in Beijing next year and should be in Europe in 2013,
    provided a local host can be identified. This will be close to the end
    of ViBRANT funding and eMonocot funding, so a UK venue would be logical,
    but logistically extremely hard.

  10. External links

    Links to external projects are now on the web site. This item is an
    opportunity to discuss the appropriateness of including any particular
    link.

  11. Future meeting dates

    18 January 2012 from 10:00 to 12:00
    18 April
    2012 from 10:00 to 12:00
    18 July 2012 from 10:00 to 12:00
    17
    October 2012 from 10:00 to 12:00 to 18 October at 12:00

    16
    January 2013 from 10:00 to 12:00
    17 April 2013 from 10:00 to
    12:00
    17 July 2013 from 10:00 to 12:00
    16 October 2013 from
    10:00 to 12:00 to 17 October at 12:00

  12. Any other business

     

     


    Delegates;

    Vince Smith, Project Coordinator Dave Roberts, WP 1 Leader
    Simon Rycroft, WP2 Leader Thierry Backlejau, WP3 Deputy
    Yde de Jong, WP4 Neil Caithness, WP5 Leader
    Lyubomir Penev, WP6 Leader David Morse, WP7 Leader
    Christos Arvanitidis, WP8 Leader Lucy Reeve (Admin)
    Gemma Maldar, Finance

    Minutes

  1.  
    1. WP1

    2. M1.19 is late as the reporting templates have not been released by the Commission.

      M1.20 is delayed due to the change of meeting date.

      If a deliverable is delayed a plausible reason must be entered into the milestone table on the web site and a new, realistic, delivery date must be provided.

      Publications, presentations and events records will be lifted from the website for inclusion in the report. All were reminded to keep these up to date.

      Action: WP leaders to remind partners to keep lists up to date with all dissemination activities

      DR is working with Isa Van de Velde on rebuilding the ViBRANT website. This should be completed by Christmas.

      All WP leaders have a small Management budget to cover the cost of attending management meetings. This may be used by someone else in the institution if not used by the WP leader.

      Clarification was provided on redistribution of budgets. WP can agree within themselves to a shift in budget (with Coordinator knowledge and approval), but the Management Committee must agree a shift of funds between WPs. Reorganisation of budget between partners requires approval of the Project Coordinator.

    3. WP2

    4. D2.1 is almost complete and will be delivered on time.

      The upgrade from Drupal 6 to 7 was more difficult and took more work than expected. This resulted in WP2 running behind schedule. The release of Scratchpads 2 should be on time. Current sites will not be upgraded immediately.

      New sites will have a new theme and users will be presented with less choice. It is anticipated that some users will complain. In some cases some sites may remain as Drupal 6 but this will be examined on a case-by-case basis. Support will not be provided for sites that do not make the transition to Drupal 7.

      Server distribution is becoming an issue. Need to focus on pushing Scratchpads out to other institutions to host their own sites. If partners host their own servers it demonstrates a commitment to the project.

      Action: If WP leaders have server capacity and can host Scratchpads contact VS.

      LifeWatch, through BioVel, are creating a cloud facility which could be used for Scratchpads.

    5. WP3

    6. There has been no deviation from the workplan. WP3 has been more focused on developing promotional strategies for training sessions due to the switch to Scratchpads 2.

      Flyers have been produced and are available on the website and on paper from Isa Van de Velde. An international network of Scratchpad ambassadors has been established.

      It was agreed that the title of M3.11 is changed to “Potential Mechanisms to increase user uptake”

      Action: DR to update on website

      D3.1 is almost ready. Training strategy included ambassadors.

      Scaling up training is a challenge. The ambassadors network is a mechanism for cascading training. Ambassadors will organise and provide ad-hoc and on-the-spot training for their own network of Scratchpad users. Distance learning is also contributing to the way scaling-up of training is being approached.

      RBINS is looking at what kind of training already exists and what does not to develop new training mechanisms. WP leaders developing services and facilities should be able to coordinate training for those new services.

      Each partner should identify services that will require promotion, particularly where they can be used independently of Scratchpads.

    7. WP4

    8. D4.1 is facing a delay of a few months.

      "D4.1) Scratchpad common access point: Develop an initial set of API services to link the Scratchpad communities to the resources of the CDM, to facilitate data exchange. Specifically these will implement a persistent identifier framework for shared objects between Scratchpads and the CDM to facilitate the identification of object changes, deletions and additions in linked databases."

      YdJ joined a month ago. Planning to build Darwin Core module for export and import of data from Scratchpads. A specification document has been drafted. Work has started on building the module. The module works from SP to CDM but needs to work two ways. The CDM export module has to be delivered as part if the i4life project in which BGBM are partners.

      Currently it will be difficult to argue the deliverable has been achieved. This needs to be looked at urgently. There is the possibility it could be delivered as a technical report and argued on the grounds that the delay of conversion to Scratchpads 2 has delayed the development of the module.

      The module is an absolutely essential service. If not completed will need to be re-scheduled for 6 months’ time, or re-allocated to a different partner (not UK) with an appropriate re-distribution of resources.

      Action: YdJ to talk to Anton to see if can work a way round justification for Darwin Core Scratchpad export being sufficient to meet target. By 30 November 2011.

      M4.12 is the responsibility of GBIF. GBIF has been out of communication with WP4. An email has been sent to the relevant people to ask them to upload the document but no response has been received. YdJ going to Copenhagen to discuss. GBIF should be managing in another way.

      VS has spoken to Dave Remsen. Dag has been surveying controlled vocab platforms. There is concern with Gregor as has been developing semantic wiki approach and there is little obvious evidence in existence. He has contributed to the Special Issue but in licensing issues which is not what Gregor should be doing within ViBRANT.

      There is a need to link between species ID and GBIF.

      It was highlighted that no partner should be seen as an outlier. This is not a problem currently but there is a need to be able to articulate where the links are.

      Action: YdJ to speak to GBIF and JKI

    9. WP5

    10. M5.14 – www.phylogeny.fr claims to run one-click phylogenies. Contact is being attempted but no response from developers received yet. A lot of preparatory work has been done.

      M5.16 has been superseded. Lots of visualisations have been developing but all are reusable pieces. GDM software is implemented in ARR but has Windows DLL in it which was a stumbling block. There is a very simple service API where any UNIX or Windows machine can pick up jobs delivered by OBOE using dropbox. Any authenticated machine can poll the dropbox, pick up jobs it can do and drop completed jobs back in.

      The OBOE system has been expanded and consists of at least 9 machines. Other institutes can be involved.

      M5.19 is to be completed. Now have a diverse and flexible platform with a lot of preparatory work on services taking place.

      A service catalogue is required, and how to integrate these with Scratchpads. There is concern over the phylogenetic side.

      A local mirror of the GBIF catalogue has been obtained and a new query mechanism is being developed. Not a public site but access can be given to SR.

      M5.18 is discussed in a chapter in the Pensoft special issue.

      A report and service catalogue are to be written to fulfil D5.1

    11. WP6

    12. M6.11 and 6.12 are both completed.

      M6.13 is on target.

      D6.1 is ready to be reported in design stage. Full implementation has been delayed due to the upgrade to Drupal 7.

      Pensoft marking tool will be available for testing in spring 2012.

    13. WP7

    14. M7.12 is done.

      M7.13 needs to be wrapped up. Was delayed due to D7.1.

      The results of workshops meet M7.14.

      D7.1 will be completed on time. Getting CiteBank meets this deliverable.

      ViBRANT is taking over CiteBank and will develop a community-constructed bibliography. OU will host the content for the time being. OAI-PMH will be used to aggregate content from existing biblios and coalesce into a single. Content to be plugged into Mendeley account to make a cleaner version.

      Guido presented a paper at the SocInfo conference on crowdsourcing, which won a prize for best paper. WP7 plans to do crowdsourcing on markup.

    15. WP8

    16. M8.20 has been delivered but requires NC help to develop API to connect routine to Scratchpad system so the user can use. A group of people has already been initiated. If this is successful in the coming year a large part of the concept has been solved.

      M8.11 is a problem. Responses have not been forthcoming from Alexander or Christoph. Paper will serve as a milestone.

      Action: CA to continue chasing

      Three tasks have been identified for Year 2, fulfilling M8.13

      M8.14 is complete.

      M8.12 is complete but needs to be reported.

      D8.1 has been met.

      There has been lots of activity over the last year e.g. COMBER project. Designed and implemented but still need to train the trainer.

      Data are to be extracted to test whether the information can represent biodiversity in the area. Data are provided from observational dives. The protocol will be published in Zookeys in early 2012.

      Models already exist to engage citizen scientists; awaiting Scratchpads 2 to link the module to Scratchpads, but the URL already exists. In the workplan this is assigned to GBIF but this is incorrect and should be assigned to HCMR.

      The next set of instances are being planned, and an ecological and conservation application is being developed.

      CA demonstrated videos of micro-ct scans on the Marbigen website . Investigation into developing mechanisms to publish types of data other than text was agreed to have potential. The goal is user-driven investigation of images, for which there is currently no standard. The only way currently is with licenced software.

      Visualisation tools are an ongoing field of investigation.

      NC commented that the links on M8.10 are C code files and the full application must be somewhere else as the files are too small.

      Action: NC to discuss with Crete IT

    1. The NHM & Oxford proposal to the UK's BBSRC in conjunction with EBI was not funded. Feedback has still not been received.

    2. A bid to the EU Infrastructure programme 'agBioINFRA' was not funded.

    3. eMonocot: NERC-funded project to establish comprehensive web resource for monocot plants. NHM, Kew and University of Oxford. Started same time as ViBRANT. Will deliver large number of users. Using Scratchpads as assembly point for content. Also connects through Darwin Core archive to customised portal. NHM doing Scratchpads and outreach, Kew providing content, Oxford building portal.

    4. A new project agINFRA will kick off in Rome 8-10 Nov. This funds one person in the OU and will use Scratchpads as communication platform, taking us into the agriculture domain. EU funded infrastructure project to support agricultural information systems. FAO is a major driver. Lots of reports which are not very accessible. OU role is to make the literature more accessible. Most scanned and online but searching is impossible. Recruitment in process. AgriDrupal is suite of modules of relevance to agricultural community. Propose use of Scratchpads as being a vehicle for getting people interested to have a common platform of information. Trying to get standardised way and getting people to see value of application. Funding agencies are looking for approaches to improve their key strategies which makes it easier to look at new funding opportunities.

    5. BioVel has been funded and is expected to link to ViBRANT. They want to learn more about ViBRANT but are not willing to share their description of work. There may be a perception of overlap by the Commission which needs to be addressed.

    6. EoL: relations with EoL are extremely good and data are starting to flow from Scratchpads to EoL. We plan to use EoL services in Scratchpads2 as part of the species page where possible. The intention is to use EoL structure and processes. Data exchange between EoL and Scratchpads2. Pushing data to EoL through species profile module descriptions. VS attending meeting in Panama in Jan to discuss funding for EoL.

    7. BHL: WP7 were intending to use CiteBank as the primary literature repository, pending the outcome of discussions after TDWG, but will in fact take over the content of the existing site while BHL restrict CiteBank sensu lato to materials in BHL's repository. BHL will be focusing on data extraction and application methods.

    8. GN (aka GNA and Nomina): the US consortium has secured pilot-phase funding for 2 years. They have an urgent need to show application, so ideas are sought for services (= use cases) that they can deliver by May 2012. The condition is that any such service needs to be demonstrably used in June so that it can be quoted in the grant proposal for construction-phase funding being written in July 2012. There is a possibility that this will be a parallel EU-NSF call. This is dependant on what GBIF are already doing.

    9. 4D4Life, Species2000 and Catalogue of Life. With the untimely death of Frank Bisby, the committee does not know what is going to happen to these projects. Someone is needed to host catalogue of life. Get several million for hosting backbone of Lifewatch so will change the landscape. Next week Sp.2000 team will meet in Leiden Yde in contact and will advise that SP2 could be a tool. Will keep management team informed.

      CoL is not widely used, people generally import their own taxonomies. Scratchpads will not be suitable tool to fill gaps in CoL as too many are geographically restricted.

      Only concern ViBRANT has is how can scale to very large taxonomies. Conceptually perfect fit could have proto GST. No objection to Scratchpads being used as a vehicle.

    • 1 Dec 11 The online reporting system will open.

    • 16 Dec 11 Draft financial reports submitted to LR for feedback.

      Final financial reports are to be submitted as soon as possible once feedback has been provided.

    • 20 Jan 12 Form C’s must be completed and provided to the NHM in hard copy. We understand that the Form C will be automatically generated by inputting the financial reports into the NEF but this cannot be confirmed until the online system opens.

    • Vizzuality's Red List tool;

    • Pensoft's publication tools;

    • HMCR's COMBER project;

    • WP2's redesign of the tech back end for Scratchpads.

    • major system

    • modules

    • contributions by user communities

  2.  

  3. Apologies
  4.  

    Wouter Los, WP4 Leader

     

  5. Financial Reporting
  6.  

    Key dates were circulated:

    Review dates are still unconfirmed but need to be set as a priority. At this point it is still unclear how many delegates will be required to attend. YdJ noted that PESI has the same Desk Officer and all WP leaders were required to attend.

    All were reminded of the necessity of obtaining permission from the Desk Officer to use ViBRANT funds for travel outside the EU. Requests should be submitted to LR who will seek permission from the Desk Officer. If permission is not sought the spend may be rejected by the Commission. Please note that this has taken a significant amount of time, so requests well in advance are advisable.

    If a partner has underspent in Year 1 the budget can be carried forward into Year 2 without formal Commission approval. Justification should be provided in the annual report. Shoud the spend across all the partners be less than one-third of the total project budget it will draw the Commission's attention. We are already aware of travel funds for training and dissemination (WP3) are being planned for the second two years and WP4 has had problems of recruitment and is planning a re-distribution of budget.

    WP leaders were advised that financial reports will be requested from each partner at 18 months, when the next tranche of payments is due.

    All were reminded that submission of the Year 1 report cannot be completed until Form Cs from all partners have been received. The next payment from the Commission will not be released until the reports are completed.

    Action: WP leaders to contact partners requesting a timely return of financial reports

    Action: Information and reporting templates to be posted on the website as soon as they are available (DR)

    Virement between direct cost budget headings is allowed (e.g. travel and consumables), but note that for partners in more than one workpackage that reimbursment rates vary between teh three threads (research, networking and 'other'). There may be problems if transfers are made from direct to personnel and vice versa: please check with LR before making such transfers.

    It is likely that the NHM will be required to fill in the on-line tool using the financial data provided by the partners. This will be confirmed once the on-line tool is open on 1 December 2011.

  7. Project Co-ordinator’s report
  8. VS congratulated all on the work of the past year. ViBRANT is now labelled as a major initiative and is being engaged in a range of other initiatives. Highlights include:

    All were urged to keep both the events, publications and dissemination lists on the web site up to date. These will form elements of the annual reports. For those that have released products, the records of usage rates are required.

    This year has been a holding year for Scratchpads with backend work to launch Scratchpads 2. Usage is very high which is causing problems.

    Next year is a major opportunity to promote ViBRANT at a more public level. e-Monocot and GBIF Nodes Portal Toolkit have potential to attract a large number of users in the next year.

    TDWG (China) and e-biosphere are both large promotion opportunities. TDWG 2013 which is expected to be in Europe coincides with the end of ViBRANT and e-Monocot. We should consider being involved in organising the event, but both the NHM and Kew would have serious logistical problems for a meeting of that size.

    Planning needs to be started in the middle of next year for a future ViBRANT. We will need to think about strategy.

    Usage statistics will be able to dig much deeper next year, including activities not part of Scratchpads. There is an excellent foundation which will need to be built upon in Year 2.

  9. Workpackage Updates
  10. Reporting
  11. NHM will take data tables directly from the ViBRANT website. If conference travel is in the financial report there should be something on the website to support this.

    Action: All to remind WP participants to add outputs to ViBRANT website

    Action: DR to circulate report through website and investigate GoogleDocs as a vehicle

  12. Milestones and Deliverables for Year 2
  13. WP8

    There is a collective interest in tomography and workflows. A mailing list is to be set up on workflows. Communication is essential to avoid multiple approaches.

    Potential milestones are:

    tomography, consideration of tomography standards, review of tomography tools currently available

    how to publish tomography; to investigate potential mechanisms for publication of tomography data

    Deliverables for the next two years need to be defined

    WP7

    Two strands exist:

    taking markup forward. Need to restrain ambitions in the light of challenges. Markup of bibliographies is sufficient.

    taking bibliographies forward. Accessibility issues need to be resolved and a cleaner link to model of current publications.

    Keeping focused on references keeps consistency and adds value. Extra resource will be coming in from agINFRA.

    WP7 needs to deliver a prototype very quickly.

    WP6

    Another publication should be developed.

    The Pensoft Markup Tool will be released.

    WP5

    There are three categories of services:

    phylogenies

    locality of specimens as data point (bioclimatic modelling etc)

    platform-specific middleware and metadata repository design plan. These can be condensed and refined as have been done already.

    A catalogue of services desired or available should be created. A mechanism by which people can submit suggestions through an open form should be developed.

    BioVel are pushing phylogenetic services so there is potential to drop some of the phylogenetic aspects but need to be satisfied that it will work. There is uncertainty about what services BioVel will be developing and the timescale.

    Need to explore the data which is not a one-click process. High application from one-click from people who do not want to use the software. Partition between two approaches which we need to be able to explain and understand the implications.

    Action: DR to arrange meeting between WP5 and BioVel

    WP4

    Need to have broader picture of infrastructure. YdJ to go to Copenhagen and will try to find users to test Gregor’s work.

    There is some scepticism about Gregors work. Objective of mediawiki to trigger standardisation process. Real need to development for SP is side issue.

    Need for comparison between Dave Remsen and Gregor’s approaches. GBIF doesn’t care about development of community. Partners deal with involvement of community. Tool allows anyone to create vocabulary but not to edit it. Communities are not good at building vocabularies. Gregor argues that people are good at building vocabularies.

    Gregor looking at ontologies and the GBIF tool is vocabularies.

    There is an existing tool in Scratchpads and it is being used, but not fit to elevate to store ontologies.

    The lack of progress made by Gregor is causing concern and needs to be addressed.

    Level of development from GBIF low when ViBRANT proposal was written, but have been more active than expected. GBIF is also involved in WP8 but there was not much clarity in what is being delivered. NPT (community engagement) – money should be spent on that. We need to clarify a strategy now.

    Statement of linkage between vocabularies and mark-up tools. PENSOFT already have established workflows which may be able to be put in. Want to reuse standardised vocabularies.

    Need to see end to end services that are fully integrated so can justify to Commission.

    WP3

    M3.13 title to be refined.

    Add exploring possibilities for training in other WPs. Other WP leaders are to suggest training needs within their WPs.

    Compilation of site with help resources and links to other related activities.

    More open mechanisms for peer reviews.

    Scholarly communication is going to be big part of any future project.There is a need to identify activities that will change the perceptions of the community.

    We note that the completed milestone M3.10 is the project dissemination plan.

    WP2

    M2.15 – potentially relates to data pub journal and registry. Mechanism to track use by reuse of downloads. Report could be achievable but service is not. Delay, make report on mechanisms to be implemented. This is more complicated than thought so new report date to be fixed asap.

    Potentially the credit metric paper, submitted to the special issue, could be the foundation for this.

    M2.14 (& M2.18)– overlaps a lot with WP4. All dependant on Darwin Core archive module.

    WP7 has an interest in search and therefore the milestone. If this milestone is scheduled later then WP7 can have some involvement.

    Additional milestones:

    Overlap between ViBRANT and e-monocot.

    Scratchpad core team during the year.

    WP1

    WP leaders should circulate information on changes, making sure that the web site contains the current realistic date, which will in turn feed back into prioritisation of deliverables.

    Should Scratchpads be attempting to integrate with XML markup tool? A module is required that implements Guido’s work, but this is not a milestone for 2012.

    Action: All WP leaders to submit their milestones by end of November 2011

  14. Special publication
  15. There are three categories of contributors:

    The majority of contributions have arrived. There have been problems getting a second review for some. The deadline has been put back to try and push for in press statements by the end of November so the deliverable can be reported in Year 1.

    All were asked that if contacted by VS for a review to turnround rapidly in order to achieve the 30 November deadline.

    ViBRANT will be credited in the editorial introduction.

    LP advised he would like to publish a short editorial on developments in Zookeys.

  16. Associated grant proposals
  17. Events calendar and training
  18. All were reminded to populate the website with training events.

    YdJ reported he is on the executive committee of TDWG.

  19. External links
  20. No issues were raised.

  21. Future meeting dates
  22. 18 January 2012 from 10:00 to 12:00 This may be rescheduled as VS is in Panama. Last meeting before the reporting deadline.

    18 April 2012 from 10:00 to 12:00

    18 July 2012 from 10:00 to 12:00

    17 October 2012 from 10:00 to 12:00 to 18 October at 12:00

    16 January 2013 from 10:00 to 12:00

    17 April 2013 from 10:00 to 12:00

    17 July 2013 from 10:00 to 12:00

    16 October 2013 from 10:00 to 12:00 to 17 October at 12:00

  23. Any other business
  24. Peter van den Besselaar is not employed by VU so GA will need amending. Paperwork will be distributed for signing in due course.

AttachmentSize
FIRST DRAFT ManComm4 Agenda.doc48 KB